My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

The Waiting Game

Several light years ago, when I was a kid living in a simple but loving home in the southwest corner of England, there was one day I dreaded more than any other. It wasn't the day school started up again after those long idyllic summers, or the arrival of the six-monthly reminder from the dentist that it was time to sit in the torture chair again. I hated Christmas Eve.

Not because it was Christmas Eve or that I disliked Christmas. Hey I was a kid, I loved Christmas, but when I woke up on December 24th, there was only one thing standing between me and Santa's goodies - what always seemed the longest day of the year. That's why I didn't like it. I wanted it over with. Why couldn't it be the only three hour day in the year? Give the other 21 hours the rest of the day off! So I waited and waited and waited, all the time getting more and more excited about what I would discover early the next morning. Impatiently I wished the hours away.

A world away from Exter in the 1950's, Saturday evenings have become my new Christmas Eve. Here I sit at my computer just waiting for it to be time to go to bed, so that I can wake up and it will be Sunday.

You see, I get excited about Sundays. I'm pumped here tonight. Who is going to be there? What people will visit Grace for the first time? Who will be encouraged, built up by the service? How many people will give their lives to Jesus? How many will find fresh hope?

We've been planning tomorrow for months. I remember back in May when we decided that we wanted to teach the lessons we've been covering this past few weeks and then thought that they would fit into a series we could call Survivor:Long Island.

That was over three months ago and tomorrow we get to develop all that we have been planning and praying over. But it's not all about good preaching material, great music, class video or even the special fun segment for the finale of our series - it's about God using all we do to transform lives.

Is there anything better to be involved in? If there is, please let me know. Meanwhile, playing the waiting game here on Saturday evening, I'm pumped because in little more than twelve hours from now, we'll be doing stuff that will radically affect some people for eternity.

I look forward to seeing you!