My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, February 03, 2006

ENOUGH ALREADY

The harassing phone calls have started again - it seems there are people out there who are unable to progress properly through a Friday without discovering the identity of our Supercool Person Of The Week.

You're going to have to wait a bit (or scroll down)while I explain that it takes a lot of time to catch up after six days away, so life really has been busy. Then - and here comes the complaint - Gill asked me to go with her to a doctor's appointment this morning as she was going to get the verdict on whether knee replacement surgery was going to be necessary. Don't get me wrong, I had no problem with her or with accompanying her.

My gripe is that we arrived punctually for an appointment at 11.15am and finally got to see the man himself at 1.25pm. Doctors may well be busy, but so are the rest of us. When on earth will they discover some civilized way of organizing their days which does not mean that patients spend an inordinate amount of times watching News 12 repeat itself over and over in their waiting rooms?

Okay, I feel better now!

One of the main areas in which we want to see development at Grace this year is that we are looking to upgrade our children's ministry considerably. By September I want to have everything in place to start a whole new program that has the kids pestering their parents to get out of their beds on Sunday mornings. Church should be fun for the kids too.

We have a great team of volunteers who do an outstanding job with limited resources every Sunday. We need to offer them better equipment, more help, and a whole 21st Century style of children's ministry so that we can be as effective as possible in laying a good foundation in the lives of those growing up around us.

Our children's ministry has not been granted the priority it deserves - and the buck stops here! - but all that will change this year.

I want to commend all those who put so much effort and energy into our Promiseland program, but none more than Nancy Negron our Supercool Person Of The Week.

Nancy has been leading our ministry to children from Pre-K to 6th Grade for the past two and a half years. She loves the kids and it's clear that they love her. A public school teacher all week, she is still willing to spend her free time organizing Promiseland and then overseeing it on Sundays. Despite limited facilities, constant changes in schedules and a thousand other distractions, she maintains a program that many churches would be proud to have.

We're going to help her take it to the next level - she deserves that and so do our children.