My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, June 02, 2006

I'M PUMPED

This is a major weekend for us at Grace. We're a missions-minded church (pity that description has to be used, because it should be true of all churches) and on Sunday we draw our annual May missions focus to a close.

It will be great to have the short-term team returning from the DR tomorrow to help us do that. It will also be cool to have all the candles on the stage lit - sorry if it's giving some of you ex-Catholics flashbacks!

One of the main issues for Sunday is money. I have no qualms about saying that. What we do to advance the kingdom in the main areas we are serving will be decided to a large degree by dollars and cents.

And we can't budget without first knowing what will come in. That's why we're inviting folks to make a missions commitment for the next twelve months, or faith promise if you prefer that phrase.

We've got a provisional missions budget of $100,000 for the year ahead of us - which is probably equal to the total annual budget of an average church in this country. But it all depends on what everyone at Grace is ready to commit to.

Sunday is the acid test of whether people have really got it.
This could be the year we pass that $100,000 point for the first time in our brief history.

I'm pumped - can't wait to see the outcome. Then I'm going to run out the door, jump on a plane and head to India myself - which underlines the fact that we don't just preach missions, we do it. All our pastors will be leading at least one missions teams this year. It's a requirement - but they want to do it anyway.