My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, October 01, 2007

DARING TO BE DIFFERENT

It's October 1st and while I occasionally wonder where summer went, I do have a pretty good idea of what the answer is. It passed quickly while we were involved in all the preparations for the move to Ronkonkoma, which is proving to be an outstanding success.

This is a special week for me as I frequently recall all that was happening this time nine years ago. The opening service for our church was on Sunday October 4th 1998 and in the few days leading up to that we were up to our neck in preparations. I had no help in the office then and no pastoral team. I was it!

It seemed like for days whenever I finished one call, there was another phone message waiting for me. It was tough to keep up. It was hectic. It was insane. And it was fun!

I told people from the start that this church would be different and made it clear that if we were not, there was no reason for us to exist. We've cultivated different and continued to develop, which is why nine years down the road everything still feels new and exciting.

These have been the best times of all my years in ministry.

I am a blessed man.