My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

PROBLEMS

Thirty five years ago, or thereabouts, when I was a young pastor leading a church that had been struggling for decades, I was invited to speak at a conference.

One of the other invited guests was a far more experienced minister than myself and he asked me how things were going with my congregation. I told him they were okay, but we had a few problems, to which he replied -

There will always be problems, but there are two kinds of problems. There are problems of growth and problems of decline.

We have problems at Church At The Movies, but I am happy to report they are the right kind. We have growth problems and the truth is the theater where we do the main service is pretty much full. Sure there are seats here and there and you could find places for a family coming in twenty minutes after the start if you split them up and put them in odd spaces in the middle of different rows. But for all practical purposes we're full.

Great problem - we need to address it quickly.