My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, September 05, 2005

It's Official - I'm Not Jonah!

I just got back from our Labor Day Picnic - what a great afternoon! We're always in such a hurry on Sundays as our time at the movie theater is limited, that there's little time for fellowship, so it was great to have around five hours hanging out with so many of our church folks. Best of all, today has helped remove a dark cloud that has been hanging over me for the past twelve months.

You see, we had no pincic in 2002 or 2003 because it rained both those years. One of them was the wettest Labor Day on record. I can't remember how many inches, but it was cold, wet and windy.

Last year Gill and I went on a cruise the week before Labor Day. It was a great deal that I found on the internet and I couldn't believe the price for a two-stop, five nights sail in the Gulf of Mexico. Of course not long after I had parted with my cash, some kind soul pointed out to me that the reason the prices were so low is that they can hardly give away reservations at the height of hurricane season. Hurricane season! I never thought of that, but was sure it wouldn't affect us.

And it didn't - not until the third day of the cruise when we learned a hurricane was approaching southern Florida and would be slowly making its way up the west coast and through the Gulf. So we had an extra four days at sea at no extra cost, bouncing around on the extreme edges of the storm.

We didn't get back to Long Island until Wednesday, although we had been due home on Saturday. We missed the Labor Day Picnic, which had been held for the first time since 2001 on what turned out to be a spectacular summer's day. And then the rumours started to circulate. The name of Jonah was being mentioned under their breath by certain people.

When Rog was here, they reasoned, it rained. This year he and his bad weather are 1500 miles away and here it's sunny. They thought they had found the weather connection - it was all my fault. So tonight I feel vindicated. I was here for the picnic and the weather was beautiful. No humidity, clear skies and the upper 70's.

So you can't blame me any more. However, we do need to continue the hunt for the Jonah before next year's picnic comes around!