My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

MONDAY, MONDAY!

I try to keep Mondays as a quiet day - a day off from church involvement, just so that I can get refreshed and recharged by focusing on a few other things. I'm not saying I head to the beach as the sun comes up - it's usually more mundane stuff like gym and Weightwatchers in the morning and then either doing minor jobs around the house or like yesterday, taking Gill over to Commack to a store she needed to go to.

God's idea from day one - or day seven to be exact - was that all creation should follow his example and take one day a week to chill a little.

It's easy to get into the routine of running seven days a week, but it's not good. How do I know that? I just believe the One who made us and wrote the manual. Of course cutting back is a tough thing to do - I must admit to checking emails, listening to phone messages and doing some research on the internet during the course of the day yesterday - but it's essential to pull back from everything else one day a week.

I can't go to every party, attend every dinner, be at every event I get invited to, even though I appreciate being included. Nor can anyone who might wander into these pages of selected ramblings. Saying no is sometimes misunderstood, but it's essential to our sanity and to us living life the way God intends.

Simplify!

And have a Sabbath!