My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

WHY WE'RE NOT DOWNSIZING

When you get to the stage in your life that the kids left home long ago and most of your four bedrooms are unused space apart from the occasional visitor, a lot of people make the decision to downsize. That's a logical move - just have the space you need, without heating, cleaning and maintaining a bunch of rooms that really serve no useful purpose at all.

However, that wouldn't really make sense for us ... our house does serve a dual purpose. Above ground it's the Blackmore home - below ground it's the International Headquarters of Grace Ministries Inc. (that sounds a bit fancier than our church offices, doesn't it?).

And as I type this morning I can hear the sounds of expansion going on outside my door. We're adding another work station to our offices as part of fulfilling one of our major commitments for 2006.

What is it? I'll tell you tomorrow in service and for those of you who live in other countries or far from the beauty of Long Island, I'll excuse you for not being in church and fill in the details for you tomorrow night.

Whatever way you look at it, there's no room for downsizing here.