My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, October 01, 2007

ORBITING THE GIANT HAIRBALL


This afternoon I spent a bit of time reading Gordon MacKenzie's book with this intriguing title. In simple terms, it's talking about not getting sucked into "normal" and maintaining your individuality and creativity.

Here are a couple of quotes I highlighted while sipping a non-fat grande latte -

Creative genius is about flying to new heights on untested wings. It is about the danger of crashing. (Great definition of church planting there!)

From cradle to grave the pressure is on: Be Normal. (I'm still holding out)

Normality derives from and is dedicated to past realities and past successes. There is no room for original thinking or primary creativity. (That defines some churches I've pastored)

The ghosts of past successes outvote original thinking. (This describes some Christians I've known)

There has never been anyone quite like you and there never will be. Consequently, you can contribute something to an endeavor that nobody else can.

Excellent book - worth getting hold of.