My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Pascagoula, Mississippi

I just had a heart-rending conversation with a lady in a town I have never heard of before - Pascagoula. It's near the Alabama border and away from the glare of the TV cameras, but there are homes there that have been devastated by Hurricane Katrina and people there who don't know where to start putting their lives back together.

So here's our first missions project to the Gulf Coast region:

We need six men - sorry ladies, this one is not for you - to go drive down to Mississippi next Friday night (September 16th) and spend four or five days in that town, helping people to salvage what is left of their homes.

They'll be relieving a team from my friend Tony Liston's church in Iowa, who will be there this coming week. The team will need to camp while they are there, take care of themselves and help strip the ruined sheet rock out of homes, remove fallen trees, etc., etc

Carolyn Ezell, who is our contact there, wept as we talked on the phone. She is one of the pastors of a great church in California, but has gone home to help her family and community recover from this devastating blow.

I saw Rick Warren on TV today. He was asked, "Where is God in all this?"
His reply was, "I kneeled on the floor of Houston Astrodome and talked to an evacuee and as I did so, I looked at all the caring people around me offering support and help. God was right there."

If you can be the hands of Jesus in Mississippi for a few days - now is the time! Please call our office for more information.