My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Cramped Quarters

It was one of those restricted mornings today, with the theater showing movies in ten other theaters during our service. So we were tight for space, being restricted to our own little corner of the building.

But I had a great time. I loved the way the stage was set up for the first part of our Narnia spin-off series Discover The Light of Christmas and the bottom line was this - two people made a first-time commitment of their lives to Jesus and a number of others recommitted their lives to the Lord. From where I'm sitting, that makes it a great morning.

You might not need this bit of insight, but I had a real tough time preparing my message for today. I spent hours trying to get it together, but was still dissatisfied. I worked on it again Friday evening, but it still seemed to be lacking. When I got back from the outreach yesterday, I ate some dinner and headed for my office to try to get comfortable with it. After an hour or so I put my notes on the desk in front of me, gave up struggling and just asked God to help me preach what he wanted me to say.

Driving to the service this morning the light went on - now most of you figured this out already, but it took me a long time, which is why I need you. Today I was talking about spiritual conflict and what had been happening all week was a spiritual battle. Maybe the devil just didn't want me sharing what I preached?

Well, looks like he lost again - because the family of God grew today as a number of great people discovered the light of Christmas.