My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Snow Days

Do you ever wonder whose side God is really on? I am sorry to have to admit it, but the winter has a tendency to bring all my doubts to the surface. I know I have made no detailed study of the data, but it seems to me that we have more snowstorms at weekends than at any other time in the week.

So here we were, all set for Celebration Sunday - the finale of our 40 Days of Community campaign. We've got a bunch of things planned but when I get up early this morning to let the dog out, there's snow on the ground and it was still coming down.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the white stuff on Christmas cards, but I have a real dislike for it swirling around in the air, settling on my lawn and messing up Sunday mornings.

Around 2/3 of our folks made it to the movie theater for church today and despite the empty chairs, those who were there seem to have had a blast, with the added blessing of a bunch of new faces around again.

I'd like to make a deal with God before this winter goes any further - how about clearing out the heavens at some other time than overnight on Saturdays? And just in case he ignores me and continues to do whatever he pleases, how about using this rule of thumb - if I'd drive to work in this, I can definitely drive to church in it???