My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Good Movies

Following the unexpected success of The Passion Of The Christ and the more predictable millions made by the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, it seems that Disney has got smarter. They have worked out that Christians want to see wholesome movies and that you can make a series a year at a time and have people waiting with bated breath for the next part.

So they have taken the work of one of the greatest Christian writers in recent history, C.S.Lewis and are preparing to make a number of movies based on his outstanding children's stories, The Chronicles of Narnia. Uncertain of the work their marketers have done in advance, the word is they are waiting to ensure their first offering, The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe makes them at least $200m this Christmas before they start production on the second story.

I predict it will be huge. Firstly it's a great book, secondly Disney know how to produce outstanding work and thirdly the scenery and effects are said to be breathtaking.

Quite apart from the fact that churches all over America are using special premiere showings as evangelistic tools, Joe Public is going to love Lewis' work.

I've given our neighbors tickets for our own December 8th showing - please pray they come - and am encouraged to see how many people are inviting family and friends to be with us that night. Because we are hosting this special event we will be able to hand out invitations to our series based on Narnia - Discover The Light Of Christmas - that will run for three weeks starting the Sunday after our movie premier.

What a great opportunity to bring people to our church/theater for a non-threatening event that will show them the gospel. I can hardly wait to see the movie, but I want to see the unchurched guests even more!