My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, November 28, 2005

Help For Hurting People


When we stand still we stop growing, or worse than that we start to stagnate. That's why I crawled out of bed at 4.15 this morning and got myself on a plane to California. I want to press forward.

It is no secret that I have a great respect for Rick Warren and for the work he is doing both in Saddleback Valley Community Church and across the world. A few months ago I heard him share his heart about the plight of the millions of AIDS victims around the world. He challenged leaders about what their response would be. So here I am now, surrounded by mountains and palm trees, looking for a good night's rest before hearing Rick and Kay Warren together with Bill and Lynne Hybels from Willow Creek Community Church in Illinois, as they spend two days addressing this huge issue.

I don't know what they will say or where it may or may not take us, but Grace Church likes to be on the cutting edge of helping hurting people, so we'll see where this leads.

We must never be content to stay where we are or as we are. Our hearts need to be touched with the real pain of real people and we need to evaluate what God wants us to do. Let's pray that will become clear.