My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Cool Person Of The Week

It's Friday and I'm back in freezing New York. What a change from upper 70's this morning to 27 with wind chill this afternoon. But we love Long Island - it's good to be home.

In any church it's easy to overlook people who are vital to what we do and yet play it so low key, you hardly recognize their involvement. Yet our Supercool Person Of The Week is someone whose work everyone sees on a weekly basis. If she didn't do her job, it would be immediately noticeable. Any idea who I'm talking about?

Here's a bit of history. Several years ago when we were doing church in a catering hall, there seemed to be nothing planned to be sure we had someone to operate the overhead projector we were using. So I asked a young girl to take it on and she did a great job.

When we moved to laptops and LCD projectors, the main program we were going to use had two of our pastors baffled, so I asked this same girl if she would like to look at it. She had it worked out in hours. Now she's 16, but for several years, Jessica Saponieri has been arriving at the movie theater at 7.15 every Sunday morning, laying the cables, setting up the projector and computer(s), preparing all the data and operating our system for us.

She's smart and very dedicated. Most people don't see her doing it, but everyone sees what she does. So thanks Jess - you're our Supercool Person Of The Week.

Watch her in action Sunday morning as we look at the trailer for the outstanding movie we are using as part of a major Christmas outreach - The Chronicles of Narnia.