My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

World Aids Day

I was afraid to watch the news when I turned on the TV in my hotel room this morning. As I flicked through the channels the same tragic story was on them all - 20 fully loaded 747s had crashed again today killing everyone on board. Most of the planes had come down over Africa, with India being the second most affected country. The USA also had its share of fatalities.

When will it end? Every day 20 plane loads of people die worldwide in the most horrifying ways and this has been going on for years.

Okay, so there were no jumbo jets falling from the sky today, thank God. But the death toll from AIDS in this 24 hours will be the same as if 20 planes had gone down and it continues day after day after day.

Over the past few days I have heard from a number of people living with HIV/AIDS and have met a few too. Tragically, most of these people had been terrified to share their tragic news with people in their churches for fear of what the response would be. So they carried the fears and the pain alone.

Dr.Robert Redfield is the co-founder of the Institute of Human Virology at the University of Maryland at Baltimore. He is a pioneer in clinical human viral research with notable accomplishments in the sreas of HIV immunoregulation, immunotherapy and vaccine development. On Tuesday afternoon I heard him call for the church to get off the bench and engage in what he described as "the ultimate Christian opportunity". I think he's right.

Today on World Aids Day, Gay activists will probably grab the limelight in the USA. But worldwide this is not a homosexual issue, it is a pandemic that is cutting short the lives of tens of thousands of men, women and children every week.

Maybe we should be in the forefront of this battle. Maybe Christians should be volunteering at clinics, offering support and opening our arms to welcome those that are hurting. Remember, Jesus never asked how people got sick - he just healed them.

Le's pray today that the curse of HIV/AIDS will be met with the love of God and ultimately conquered. Let's ask God if there is anything he wants us to do - and be careful because he probably has an answer.