My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Main Event

For some reason I still haven't worked out, I went to the movies with Gill on Monday to see Pride & Prejudice. The novel is an English classic and it's a slow-moving period story that I know from beginning to end. My only real interest was that I had acted in a stage version of it when I was in high school, but that waned not long after the opening titles. At least the seat was comfortable and I did manage to doze a couple of times during the two hour marathon.

In stark contrast to that experience, I am looking forward to going to the movies tonight as we host one of hundreds of premier showings around the country of Walt Disney's version of the classic story The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe.

The other day I described the church building debate as a sideshow. Tonight is the main event. It's the start of a sixteen day period culminating on Christmas Eve when we have a great opportunity to share the good news about Jesus with a whole lot of people.

We'll start a Sunday series at the weekend that follows on from Narnia and we've got invitations being handed out to family friends and strangers, so we expect to have a lot of guests tonight and on the next two Sundays. Then Christmas Eve will be huge with our walk through Narnia, children's gifts from Aslan the lion and a fast-moving service for the whole family.

This is fun - I'll be there early tonight waiting for it all to happen!