My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

NEWS FROM AFAR

Just managed to get to an internet cafe, so I'm catching up with a few things from the southern state of Goa. While the monsoon rains started last week they seem to have abated, so we are left with hot and very humid conditions with the occasional heavy downpour.

There was one of those showers a few minutes ago, which hit the power here. I guess the computers are on a generator, but the fans and the lights obviously are not. So I'm typing like a blind man in a sauna and am thankful to have some excuse for typos today!

Here are a few bits and pieces from the last few days -

+ Good journey here. Thanks to Justin Majeed for the tip that Nyquil works better than Tylenol PM to guarantee a good sleep on long plane trips.

+ They've really upgraded Mumbai airport so getting through immigration was far quicker. Now they just need to speed up the baggage claim.

+ Arrived early Tuesday and flew down to Goa later that day.

+ The church here is doing very well. So good to see all the folks. Spent last night doing some teaching with their key leaders - same again tonight.

+ Took some time yesterday looking at property for the church to build. Everything has risen in price dramatically and there's not too much available. They have been let down several times already.

+ It looks like there are two current options. One is a couple of miles from where most of the people live and would involve them walking up over a big hill to get there. (These are poor people who do not have any form of transport). The second is right in the middle of their community, but it is expensive.

+ They may be poor, but God isn't. So I have encouraged them to pursue the best location and we'll believe together for God to provide the extra $7500.

+ By the way. I learned they have banned The DaVinci Code in six states here in India as it brings Jesus into disrepute. Does Christian America have anything to learn from Hindi India? I don't advocate censorship, but I do appreciate respect being shown to Christ!