My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

BASEBALL AND POLITICS

Got to watch the first three innings of my grandson's baseball game tonight - he was batting .500 when I left. Then it was over to Farmingville for a meeting of the Executive of Brookhaven Conservative Party.

This was the evening we voted on who would get the Conservative line for the Town Board elections in November and I was very happy overall with the outcome.

1. I like the look of Robert DiCarlo as the Republican/Conservative challenger to Supervisor Brian Foley. He's not part of the corrupt good old boys club and he gave me his assurance that when elected he will repeal anti-church legislation introduced two years ago to stop us building.

2. Jane Bonner is an excellent candidate for the 2nd District, fighting for the seat on the Town Board being vacated by Kevin McCarrick who will not be standing for re-election. She's a Conservative who has been given the Republican line. Great lady.

3. Kathy Walsh in the 3rd District has proven her worth already - not your average politician, a genuine person who cares about the community.

4. I love the fact that Roberta Owens has been adopted by the party for the 4th District. The Democrats promised two years ago they would promote minorities, but have not. Roberta is an African American, a woman of course, an unashamed Christian and above all an excellent candidate.

5. The Executive really did not want to endorse Tim Mazzei as his introduction of anti-church legislation two years ago has put him at odds with Conservative values. He got the line, but only just and with reluctance. The reasoning was that he is more likely (and will be required) to reverse that decision than a Democrat would be and Mazzei would lose to one without the Conservative line. I have no time for him. He is of limited principles and is totally untrustworthy. I'd rather have a monkey on the Town Board, but in the end this being a democracy, the majority on our Executive prevailed.

All in all, there is a lot for Christians to be happy about, not the least of which is that every Town Board candidate with the support of the Conservative Party is pro-life.