My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

LEADERSHIP IS LONELY

In the course of my morning workout today, I listened to another of Mark Driscoll's marathon sermons. I love the guy's preaching and there was a whole lot of good stuff in that message.

I took particular note of this statement -

It's lonely being a leader

- and I agree with it.

Please don't think I'm in the middle of some pity party or on the slippery slope to black depression because I'm not. I have a lot of friends, an outstanding pastoral team around me and the best church folks you'll find anywhere in this world.

So why do I agree with that concept?

Because, as Driscoll said, real leaders live in the future. They're ahead of everyone else. They're contemplating and scoping out unknown territory. They're encouraging followers, inspiring vision and dealing with opposition.

Some days I'm so much into the future I find it difficult to focus on here and now. I can't share all that's in my mind and on my heart because it might blow some people away - in fact it would.

Folks, it's true - what people have said and thought about me for years is undeniably right on the money - I really am way out there!

It may be lonely at times, but it's where I choose to be - living on the edge and pushing the limits. And thankfully, there are a whole lot of people enjoying the journey too!