My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

LESSONS FROM DISNEY

Here's part of a post from my friend Gary Lamb's blog, on lessons he learned from a recent visit to Orlando. When Gary gets fired up about something he tends to burble on for ever, so I'll probably post some more of it tomorrow!

Here it is -

I learned so much that applies to the church that I could share but instead of talking about the common sense things like their branding, signage, etc. I just thought I would share a few things that really stood out to me in our context.

1.) Going to a place the first time is intimidating – It might have just been me, but the first day we went to the park, it was very intimidating. It wasn’t because they made it that way, but I simply didn’t know where I was supposed to be, where I was supposed to go, which bus I was supposed to ride, was I supposed to ride the Ferry or the Train? Trying to figure it out sort of had me stressed out.

I’m not sure there was anything they could have done different to make it easier but nevertheless it was intimidating.

This was a great reminder to me of how people feel the first time they walk in the doors of our church. Whether they are churched or unchurched, there is something intimidating about walking in a place the first time and not knowing where to take your children, not knowing where the bathrooms are, no knowing where you are supposed to go for worship. There is something intimidating about walking into a unknown building the first time.

I want us to do whatever it takes to calm that fear as best as we can. That means more greeters, more signage, whatever little things it takes to alleviate the nervousness of people coming the first time.

Good stuff Gary. If you can't wait, the complete thing is here - http://www.garylamb.org