My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

LEADERS MUST LEAD

Warning - rant coming ...


Over the past couple of days I have spent some time talking to a pastor who will be resigning from his position very soon now. The "elders' of the church have made it clear they are not happy with his performance and by mutual consent he will be bowing out and moving on. They are extremely disappointed with the five years of his tenure and hope the congregation can recover.

I can see their point -

+ In those five years the average Sunday attendance has gone from 30 to 330

+ There has been one Sunday in the past two years when no one committed their lives to Christ

+ The church had been doing nothing for missions but is now supporting and sponsoring missions programs in several countries

+ A significant extension has been added to their building to accommodate the crowds

+ The extension was built deb-free

+ There is an impressive balance in the church's bank account

Let's face it, the guy has done a crap job!

I'm surprised it took them that long to get rid of him!

This collection of retirees and lay people from all kinds of backgrounds are clearly the people God intends to call the shots. They obviously know all there is to know about growing a church.

This pastor is finally getting what he deserves ...

Freedom from this small-minded group of unqualified individuals, full of their own importance and the opportunity to go start a church where the pastors are the elders, which is what the New Testament actually teaches.

Pity a few more people don't read it!

Leaders must lead.

Until then, may the church in question rest in peace.