My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

GREAT!

I noticed soon after we set up home here in 1991 that in some areas, the American culture is one of superlatives - if not of downright exaggeration. Like when the commercial for the DVD of Night In The Museum refers to it as the greatest comedy in history, or when the Superbowl winners are described as the world champions (last time I checked, only U.S. teams were in the competition!).

So, not wanting to fall into that same trap, I am looking back at this morning and nonetheless saying it has been a great day.

There are Sundays, good Sundays and great Sundays - this one has been great.

It would be hard to define what qualified this morning as one of our better services. It wasn't just that things went so smoothly, every element of the service went well and we had our biggest attendance ever outside of Easter or Christmas.

I guess it all comes down to something I was sensing within while I was teaching. It was a feeling that God was at work in a significant way in a lot of people's lives. I felt that failure, guilt and condemnation were giving way to forgiveness, faith and hope. I believe that for a number of folks God brought our way today, this was the start of a whole new chapter in their lives.

That's what made it great!