My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

SCRATCHING AN ITCH

When New York's Newsday asked for my take on what faith groups can do to help marriages, I suggested that church's might start by taking the main time they have people's attention (Sunday mornings) to talk about things that really matter. (You can read the full quote in yesterday's Section Two of the paper).

Starting our Desperate Sex Lives series this morning, I realized we are doing just that. To use one of my favorite phrases, we're scratching people where they're itching.

Or to quote an old Bill Gaither song -
Don't want to spend my life writing songs that answer questions that
Nobody's even asking anyhow.

What makes me think we're hitting the mark?

I could not believe the crowd we had out today - especially given that we are experiencing a severe nor' easter, which means it was pouring with rain and we had seriously strong winds all morning. In that kind of weather we're usually on the thin side to say the least.

But not today. A lot of people obviously didn't want to miss the introductory teaching - The Best Sex Ever.

My prayer is that God will always help us to stay relevant and address the issues that folks need to hear about.