My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, April 16, 2007

I LIKE LOWES

Don't get me wrong, since I don't resemble a handyman in any shape or form, it's not the place I'd choose to spend any more time than I need to, nor would I thank anyone for giving me a gift certificate to the store for Christmas (well, I would coz I'm polite and coz it would have been very nice of them, but give me Borders or Outback any day!).

Here's why I would choose Lowes over Hell's Depot any time I need to get some stuff, as I did this afternoon.

There are people there who offer to help you.

Last time I was in Hell's Depot I walked all round the store - literally - and did not see one staff member that I could ask for assistance. Not one. I went to the Customer Service desk and they paged the person who was meant to be an expert in the field I was interested in, sending me back to wait for him in his area - blinds. Twenty minutes later, having read the labels on every type of blind they stock, I went back to Customer Service. They apologized profusely and guaranteed the blind man was on his way.

Fifteen minutes later he arrived.

How do you run a business without staff? It's insane.

Meanwhile over at Lowes today, I was in the relevant aisle for no more than sixty seconds before not one, but two sales people asked if they could help me. They could - and they did. Gill went off to look for something else and almost died from shock when a staff member immediatley appeared and offered to help her find what she was looking for. We later needed to go to customer service where again two people served us.

Note to self and to everyone involved in ministries at Church At The Movies -

Never forget that people matter.

It really is all about them!