My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

NO WAY TO PLAY BASEBALL

I just switched on to the end of the Mets game in Philadelphia. It's the top of the 9th and they're up 8-1. I think it's fair to assume this one's in the bag - it's a pity the weather got the better of the first two games in this series, because it looks like Willie Randolph's team would have had a 3-0 series sweep instead of a 1-0 sweep!

Listening to the TV commentary, the scoreline not only reflects how well the Mets have done this evening, but also how badly the Phillies have performed. To quote one of them -

They're playing like they don't want to be here.

That's weird, it's what kids dream of as they leap out of bed early on Saturday mornings to play little league. The majors! So few get there, but the guys in the red helmets tonight apparently give the impression they'd rather be fishing.

I've met a distressing amount of pastors who are in the sad condition too. Good men who once dreamed of doing something significant for God, but now confess, If I could do anything else, I would.

I know how some of them got that way. They have been betrayed, beat up and disappointed so many times that the last ounce of faith drained away from their spirits many years ago. Church folks can be brutal and a guy can only take so much.

When I sit down with leaders in this condition, I urge them to do one of two things -

1. Be honest and quit.

2. Acknowledge your problem and seek professional help.

Pastors who don't want to be there themselves will take a church nowhere. Like the Phillies tonight, they not only won't win, they'll embarass themselves as they go down.

On the other hand, there are those who can't wait for every new day and to hear the announcement - Play ball!

I've been where the Phillies players appear to be tonight, but thankfully I'm pastoring with a Mets team member's approach nowadays!