My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Feeling The Music

My Sunday routine is fairly straightforward. I leave home at 6.30 and head for the movie theater (making a stop on the way for necessary caffeine from the 7-11 of course), get a light lunch and head to the gym for a couple of hours in the afternoon. It's an amazing feeling to be able to watch a football game and feel you were also doing something useful at the same time!

By Sunday evening I'm wiped and generally veg out, make a few calls to family and friends and then sit in front of the TV. I still love Extreme Makeover Home Edition.

Yesterday I decided to have a break from normal and go out in the evening instead. I wanted to visit Elevate, the Gen-X service at True North Church in Port Jefferson Station, which is five minutes from our house. Bert Crabbe is doing a great job there. They launched in September and from January 8 will be moving to two Sunday morning services in addition to Elevate at night.

The place was packed last night and I felt positively old. There must have been almost 150 teens there, some probably wondering why some graying guy had wandered into their space. I had a blast. Bert preached a great message - he's doing a series on Narnia (sounds familiar - stole a couple of thoughts from him!).

The music was pretty amazing. Now it was more than loud. The floor was vibrating, something inside me was pounding because my chest was pulsating too. I think I finally understood what people mean when they talk about "feeling the music". I could hear it very, very well, but I sure felt it too.

It was a fun night. Guess I was born forty years too early!