My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

HOLDING OUT

My body thinks it's after 5.30am and so is desperate for sleep. But if I give in now, I'll be wide awake again in a few hours and spend the rest of the night tossing and turning trying to get back to sleep.

So the goal is to stay up until 9.00 tonight. How to do that?

+ Type on my laptop!

+ Watch the Mets (can't sleep while they're on this season!).

+ Drink coffee.

Some people wonder why we put ourselves through all we do on missions trips. Over the past nine days I have sat on cramped planes for over forty hours; tried and failed to get a good night's sleep day after day in unbelievably hot and humid conditions; dealt with three days of Delhi Belly so I hardly dared eat and felt pretty awful.

Why then will dozens of people from our church give themselves to help others they hardly know in different states and foreign countries this year? What is their problem? Why will they put themselves through this?

That's easy. They have read the best-selling book of all time in the USA - The Purpose Driven Life.

They know and live the opening statement on its riveting pages -

It's not about you!

And that folks, says it all!