My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

PUSHING OURSELVES

Eighteen months ago I joined a gym and started going there every morning to walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes at 3mph. Believe it or not, that felt like quite the workout when I weighed 330+lb.

Today I did a personal best, jogging 6 miles in just over 55 minutes - quite a difference from those initial efforts at the beginning of 2005. But that won't be good enough when I step onto the machine again tomorrow. Tomorrow's target will be under 55, even if its 54 minutes 59 seconds - and so it continues, pushing myself continually (well, most of the time, anyway), looking to improve on a daily basis.

Move that same determination into every part of life and I'd be well on the way to being superhusband, superfather, superpastor, etc., etc.

When we think about church life we should never settle with today's achievements. We always need to be fine tuning what we do and how we do it. We need to set our goals higher on a regular basis, pushing for more and in the process giving God more room to do what he does best, showing up, surprising us and accomplishing more than we could ever ask him or imagine he could do.

There's always more that we can do if we set our minds to it.

This week I resurrected a framed picture that was too far away from me for me to read the tag line. I put it right beside me on my desk. The wording goes like this -

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.