My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

GREAT JOB

Congratulations to those of our forefathers who hijacked the pagan rituals of mid-winter and decided to make it into a celebration of the birth of Jesus.

We all know Christ did not actually come into the world "in the deep mid-winter", despite what the carols say. It was probably spring time in Palestine when the Babe of Bethlehem made his entrance, but in the absence of a registrar's records, I applaud the decision made by whoever it was to name the day as December 25.

I love Christmas. It's a brightspot in winter and I personally use it to remember the coming of the Savior and to appreciate family and friends.

No point in getting all hot under the collar about Christ getting lost in all the seasonal paraphernalea. This time of year started out pagan and for a lot of people it has stayed that way.

What a pity for them. Let's not criticize, let's be thankful we know what we know and share the good news.