My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

DEVELOPING CHURCH

Sitting here watching the Yankees get beat up by Cleveland and reflecting on the first nine years of our church, which was born on this day in 1998.

There was a banner on the wall behind me in the Inn At Medford that day, proclaiming who we were and what we were there for - Grace Church - To Seek And To Save Those That Are Lost. That was our mission statement. I guess I could have worked out something that sounded cleverer, but I figured since Jesus said that's what he was here for, it wouldn't be a bad thing to try to follow in his footsteps.

It has taken nine years of developing, changing, fine tuning, ticking some people off and refusing to dilute our vision to take a statement on vinyl and make it a reality. There will always be a need to change and scope to improve, but what was an idea in '98 is becoming a reality around us.

We're not a home for church hopping Christians looking for the newest and most exciting thing around or maybe running away from issues in another church that they don't want to deal with.

We're a bunch of people on a mission and it's great to see it happening!