My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

If This Was Softball

When we moved to the States in 1991 there were all kinds of things that were new to us. Did you know that in the UK to turn a light on the switch is pushed down, the opposite of here? Then of course there was the joy of driving on the wrong side of the road, discovering shopping malls (that was more of a delight for Gill to be honest) and of course savoring treats like bagels and real pizza.

One of the biggest changes for me was that I had to learn some new sports and say farewell to some old ones. There's not much cricket on TV here and when Americans talk about football they don't actually mean a game where you kick the ball with your feet. No decent soccer here either. But to compensate, I got aquainted with some new games, like softball. I've always been part of a church with a softball team and I love the game.

Seven innings of Saturday night fun and maybe a little tension at times too!

Just seven innings. I keep thinking of that number when I realize that in three weeks from now we will be celebrating the seventh anniversary of Grace Church. If this was softball we'd be almost finished!

The good news though is that this isn't a game. It's a life or death pursuit of men and women who need to receive the gift of eternal life. It's bringing people into forgiveness, freedom and purpose in life. There's no end to that, so the conclusion of our seventh year may well be around the corner, but there's a heck of a lot more we need to do. We've hardly started.

Tomorrow I'll be talking about the way we'll celebrate our anniversary on October 2nd. It's a challenge, it's a change and as we seem to say fairly often, we've never done it before!

Hasta manana!