My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

How Was Breakfast?

After I had written my umpteenth card to first-time visitors from Sunday's open-house, I concluded that the morning had been a great success. Now I know it didn't take most normal human beings with an ounce of God-given intelligence more than around ten minutes to reach that conclusion, but it's sometimes good to sit back and weigh a thing up.

Sure there was a real buzz around the movie theater and the place was packed. I know it was a great breakfast - by the way, we got the food from the Wunderbar Deli in Port Jeff Station just in case you were wondering. (Rumors that Gene Holland cooked it all himself are greatly exaggerated!)

But did it achieve what we set out to accomplish? That's the true measure of success.

So, when I had reckoned that I wrote to more than 50 people today thanking them for being with us ... and when I worked out that they were just the ones who filled out a visitors' card ... and when I realized that there must have been at least that many guests who do not complete a card ... I realized that this was one of the best connection events we have ever done.

Also -

+ Hundreds of our regular congregation got time to hang out instead of being rushed out as is the case most Sundays

+ No one seemed to throw up their hands in horror at the fact we didn't have a "proper service". A few may have stayed at home, but we still had around 400 people celebrating our anniversary.

It really was a great day. It was a first, but hold onto your hats, we never plan for things to get comfortable - or boring - at Grace.