My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Sometimes God Acts Fast

We got home late Tuesday night from a great visit to Scotland. It was good to spend time with Gill's sister-in-law who had surgery for bowel cancer a couple of months ago - please join us in praying for a complete recovery for Sue. Then we had a wedding, I did some preaching and I seemed to spend a lot of time counselling as we visited with old friends. It was a great break.

Now I'm catching up with some of the folks in the church, talking to attorneys about our building project, preparing for our seventh anniversary on Sunday and generally trying to get to the bottom of the pile of papers on my desk. The problem being that just as I see some sign of wood underneath it all, Charlotte comes through and drops down a load of other material I need to look through.

The highlight of today has been a phone call I just received from Danny Holland. A couple of months ago Danny was dying. His liver was hardly functioning, he had no energy and his stomach was distended. I had met Danny a few times - his brother and sister are part of our church family - but we didn't see the man himself in church too often.

Desperate and concerned about the future, he came to service a number of weeks ago and before he left I asked if I could pray for him. As we bowed our heads in the foyer, I asked God to intervene speedily to save this man's life.

Well, he got an unexpected transplant the very next day and he called this afternoon to say he is home. God has performed a miracle and he wants to testify one Sunday when he is allowed to go out in crowds again. You should have heard him - he is bubbling with gratitude to God.

Thank God for answered prayer and for a life saved!

Sometimes God acts real fast on our behalf. Mostly he seems to take his time. But he is never ever a single second late!