My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Last Night I Danced

Nearing the end of the longest visit to Scotland we have made since we left here fourteen years ago, yesterday I conducted the wedding that triggered this trek back to our adopted homeland. Though neither Gill nor myself was born amid the beauty on the northern side of the wall built by the Romans to keep the Scots out of England, we spent fifteen years here, which includes most of the time our family was growing up. So Scotland became our family home.

The wedding involved a great deal of Scottish tradition, including the Celidh last night with the old celtic songs and dances that date back generations.

I found a comfortable vantage point in the hall from which I could watch the band, listen to their music and admire the skills of the dancers. Most of the men of course were looking fine in their kilts and regalia, but I felt more comfortable in a black suit than a tartan skirt!

I did dance once at the invitation of a young woman who had introduced herself to me earlier that day. "I'm Sarah-Elaine," she said, "Don't you remember me? You dedicated me when I was a baby." A few more questions on my part established the fact that this had been 24 years ago and so perhaps I could be forgiven if my instant recognition faculty appeared somewhat dulled. Later in the day she informed me that her diaper had leaked while I was dedicating her and I completed the rest of the service with a significant wet mark on my suit. Thankfully I have even less recollection of that event than the culprit.

It was fun dancing with a young woman I had dedicated as a baby. I had also married her parents some time before that. Mind you, the dance was a little too energetic for my bulk - I am sure "Strip The Willow" was less demanding a few years ago!

Meeting Sarah-Elaine was like a lot of reunions that have taken place this past two weeks - they have reminded me that in different ways we all have the opportunity to make a difference in hundreds of people's lives over the course of a few years.

If you haven't done it yet, watch "Mr.Holland's Opus" when you get chance. It's message is the story of this Scottish break.