My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, September 30, 2005

What's For Breakfast?

A few weeks ago I decided to make another change in my eating habits to enhance my chances of achieving my target of a 100lb weight loss by Christmas. Don't worry - there'll still be plenty of me left even at that!

I started eating breakfast!
Most of my bad eating habits start after dinner, not first thing in the morning. I have never been a big fan of breakfast, except for when I eat it in a diner with family or friends. When you think about it, if you don't shave or eat to start the day you have at least six minutes extra in your schedule to do important things - like sleeping longer.

But I'll eat breakfast Sunday and I hope you will too. We have ordered a ton of food for our special anniversary celebration and have rented extra chairs to make everyone comfortable. Here are a few handy hints for Sunday morning.

+ You don't have to rush. We'll be serving breakfast continuously from 9.30 to 10.30, so if you want to arrive at 10.29, that's okay. Walk the dog, pick up the paper, cut the grass, email a friend and turn up at whatever time suits you best.

+ We really hope you'll bring a friend / neighbor/ relative / someone you met at the supermarket checkout or even your mother-in-law.

+ Encourage your guests to complete a First Time Visitor card. They'll be on every table. Then they need to take it to our Guest Services Table where they'll get a coupon for a free gift next week.

+ Give them a tour of the theater and in particular of the one we use on Sundays where we're showing a special 11-minute video all morning.

+ Introduce your guests to one of the pastors, or if you think that might put them off, introduce them to Dan Ricci instead.

+ Please don't talk shop with the pastors on Sunday - they're there to meet new folks. You can talk to them any time during the week about issues that are on your mind.

+ Be extra friendly to people who might be guests!

+ Let's pray for a great morning and believe for a terrific future.

+ And because man does not live by bread alone, please be sure to leave your tithes in one of the offering baskets on the Guest Services table.


COOL PERSON OF THE WEEK
It's Friday and today's winner of our special award, who qualifies for a free breakfast on Sunday, is ......

Matteo Capita

Matteo is an outstanding guy who has been a blessing to us ever since he became part of Grace Church many, many years ago. He and his wife Carmella headed up our youth ministry for several years and they're just the kind of folks you love to be around.
I missed Matteo from the list of last week's cool people - our first Mississippi Relief Team. There was I in Scotland, sitting in front of a computer and racking my brain for the name of the eighth member of the team and concluding maybe there were only seven.
What can I say? Aging is a terrible thing!
But it means that Matteo has his own solo award this week. He deserves it!