My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Town Board Meeting #3,497

Just got in from the Town Board meeting and Press Conference. Here are a few observations -

1. I'm not sure of the final number, but I reckon we had at least 30 pastors there pressing the Town Board to make changes.

2. A long-time opponent of our church's plans had quite an outburst during the Press Conference. It reminded me we are in a spiritual battle.

3. The attorneys representing us did a great job. Thanks to Rich Boes for making the connection there and congrats to Rich Johannesen and Ken Auerbach - they made a great team.

4. Bureacracy tends to move slowly, so the Town Board scheduled a public hearing to discuss amending the code for December 6th.

5. Politicians can indeed be encouraged to change their minds when enough people make their voices heard.

6. We need to keep praying because after election day some politicians have been known to change their minds again.

All in all a good night. It means that our own planning application will take a while yet, but we are spearheading the reversal of a major injustice that left unchallenged could hinder God's work in Brookhaven for many years to come.

Check tomorrow's Newsday!