My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Enough!

Okay, that's enough for one week!

Last night we had a meeting with members of Medford Civic Association and around 20 local residents. Kills me how some of them say "the church needs to listen to the residents". There are 11,000 people living in Medford. Who elected them to speak on their behalf? Short answer - no one! Some neighbors have genuine concerns because of stupid stories circulated by those with some ulterior motive, but overall we heard the same stuff we have been hearing for years, provided the same answers and apparently didn't get too far.

Tonight it was the Town Board again. Seems the proposal to exempt churches from building restrictions has environmental implications and a full report must now be prepared - which will take weeks. Our attorney says this is all good in the longrun. What do I know???

I'm just glad that stuff is over for the week. In fact it's done for the rest of the year - all two weeks and more of it.

Our attorneys are doing a great job, pursuing this matter from every angle and determined not to let go until the injustices are reversed and Brookhaven complies with federal law and the U.S. constitution.

In the meanwhile, I am working through something far more exciting - Sunday's response slips. What a great start to our Christmas series. I hope you're working on people to bring along on Sunday - and especially for Christmas Eve which is shaping up to be one of the highlights of a great year.

So we can put the political stuff to one side for a short while and focus on our mission.