My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, May 01, 2006

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I don't usually get into political/social stuff here, but something is gnawing at me today because a bunch of dissidents hit me where it hurts.

When I went into the 7-11 this morning for my 24oz start-the-day-right cup of java, the two hispanic ladies who are normally looking after things on Mondays were nowhere to be seen. I guess they joined the immigrant boycott of American businesses today. They did not want to look after me or anyone else for that matter. Looks like they lost a day's wages for nothing since someone else was there to take my money, I still got my coffee and the place was buzzing as usual.

Fifteen years ago this month, my family and I took a trip from the north of Scotland to the U.S. Consulate in London. We had applied for green cards several months earlier, but had been told that interviews only happened within the last four weeks before the planned emmigration.

So off we went to the big city, with copious forms, birth certificates, marriage license, ordination papers, letter of invitation to the U.S., etc., etc. It was all a bit nerve-wracking as we were told if anything was missing, the application would be void, so I checked and re-checked our paperwork over and over again.

At 8.00am on the appointed day we showed up at the office of a doctor designated by the INS where we had chest x-rays, blood tests and a physical. Then we went off to the Consulate for the interview and were told to return at 2.00pm that same day. It was tough to focus on lunch as greater priorities were on our minds. Would they grant the green cards? Would we be allowed to enter the USA? What would happen if they said no?

Finally we heard our names called, picked up the necessary documents and flew into New York a few weeks later as legal immigrants - first generation Americans.

A few years later we went through another ton of red tape - and parted with a considerable amount of cash - in order to have the privilege of standing in the court house in Brooklyn and taking the oath of allegiance to become American citizens.

It was quite a lot of effort - but worth every bit of it.

Today I'm proud to be an American and of course I don't have to live looking over my shoulder for the INS. Having come in through the front door, I just can't figure out why millions of illegals don't simply keep their heads down and get on with the illegal lives they have.

But walking our streets, shouting for rights and threatening our economy? You must be kidding. That's nuts in any language.