My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

HAPPY ST.SWITHEN'S DAY


One of the few downsides of living in the colonies is that we miss out on some of the interesting celebrations instigating by our slightly wacky forefathers back in the UK. Like St.Swithen's Day, which there is a good chance most people reading this blog have never heard of.

Well, for your further enlightenment let me explain that it's today - July 15th.

And what do the British do on St.Swithen's Day? - Nothing they don't do every other day of the year, except perhaps comment on the weather slightly more than usual.

You see, July 15th is like Groundhog Day - only without the groundhog. Tradition states that if it rains on St.Swithen's Day, it will rain for the next 40 days. And if the sun shines, it will be fair weather for 40 days. Whereas the groundhog tells if the end of winter is near, St.Swithen divulged a foolproof method of predicting how long summer would last. Of course anything longer than 24 hours is an acceptable answer in the UK!

Looks like hot and sunny for the next six weeks. Nice job Swithy!

All the more reason not to miss out on the AC in the UA Theater tomorrow morning.