My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

MAJOR IMPRESSIONS FROM THE STONE - #2

Today has been another of those day where I've been catching up with a ton of stuff that accumulated while I was away over the weekend. I've also been looking over the notes I took at Ridgestone Community Church and the others we visited in the pursuit of developing Grace Church in every way possible.

Yesterday I commented on the fact that The Stone is special because they befriend the people who matter the most.

There was something else that impressed me in the early hours of Sunday morning before even Starbucks was open. I had arrived at the theater at 6.45am and a lot of the heavy work involved in set-up had already been done. As I parked at the back of the theater there were at least a dozen cars there, but it wasn't them or their drivers, who had been there since 5.30, that left the lasting impression. It was something else.

Walking the corridors and seeing the different areas getting prepared for the morning's activities, I came to meet a great guy, whose name I have regretfully forgotten.

He was working hard setting up the children's area and the sweat marks on his tee shirt testified to the fact he had not let up for more than an hour. I later discovered he was 73 years old and had been a part of the church since Day One.

He described himself as having been burned out after being in the same small church for years, where the service was always predictable and he could predict what the preacher would say too. So he went to the opening service of a new church he heard about, loved it and has been at The Stone every week since.

Three hours after he started work on Sunday, he was heading home to shower and return for the service with his wife. "I find a lot of satisfaction in coming back and seeing everything in place for the people". my new friend commented.

That guy impressed me and he underlined the fact that the strength of this great church is that the members have bought into the vision. You don't demonstrate that by just showing up, you become a part when you are plugged in.

If you've really got it - you get stuck in.

They've got it there in Canton!