My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

THE QUIET ONES

I've known Liz Breslin for around 15 years. She went to be with Jesus early Sunday morning and I have just finished preparing a message for her funeral service this evening. She was 62.

A lot of the folks in our church didn't really know her as she couldn't make it to weekend services very often. She lived with constant pain and latterly could only get around with the help of a motorized wheelchair. Rheumatoid Arthritis had taken an awful toll on her body, but that was not all she had to bear, several other serious conditions added to her suffering.

I used to call Liz now and again and was constantly surprised at how bright and positive she was. She had a great sense of humor too.

Now and again she would call me and ask me to pray with her as the pain was so intense. We'd chat, I'd pray and then she would apologize for having bothered me!

Heaven's richer tonight and we're the poorer.

Liz Breslin was neither loud nor conspicuous, but she was part of us and I thank God for her.