My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, July 03, 2006

SURF'S UP!

Let me save you the tormenting mental acrobatics of picturing Rog on a surfboard and let you into the secret that the header may be a slight overstatement of the fact that I just took the cover off our pool - with a little help from my friends!

In case you think it may be a little late to start the water festivities in the back yard, let me explain that since I was out of the country for ten days in June and out on the east end for another six, it seemed pointless to go through the normal process of setting everything going on Memorial Day weekend.

Add to that the fact that I hardly use the thing anyway!

So I figure I saved a month's worth of electricity and chemicals and only have to sustain the waterhole for another eight weeks before I can cover it again and bewail the passing of yet another summer.

Opening a pool is interesting because you never know what you're going to find. The question after ten months of being covered is - what color will the water be? Over the years we've experienced every shade of green and gray you could imagine, with the occasional good year thrown in when the water was clear. This is a good year.

I've been in a lot of church services where you never knew what you were going to get either. Each weekend was a lottery. Where on the chart between normal and bizarre would the service end up? - there was no prior warning!

We don't go in for that at Grace. You often don't get a second chance where the souls of people who need Jesus are concerned. So we think carefully, plan appropriately and do our utmost to avoid nasty surprises.

That way no one is ever embarassed to tell their friends - Surf's Up!