My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

MAKING THE CUT

Later today I'm leaving town for a week (I will be coming back for Sunday) on one of my favorite trips of the year. As far as I can recall, already this year I've been in Texas (twice), D.C., California, Indiana (twice), Scotland and India.

Early this evening we take the shortest trek of all - to the far flung eastern end of Long Island and a little town I love - Montauk.

Some good friends have given us the use of their condo in this beautiful little resort for more summers than I can remember and it's a haven. Why?

1. You can be in Montauk in less than 90 minutes, but it feels like you're in another state.

2. The beach is so long it's seldom really crowded.

3. No disrespect to anyone, but I seldom run into anyone I know in Montauk.

4. There's a real relaxed atmosphere out there. We just veg out and fit right in.

5. All the comforts of home, but you're away from home.

6. And the clincher - there are no shops worth speaking of, no big stores. So you couldn't spend hours shopping if you wanted to. And of course I don't want to.

The toughest decision is working out which books to take with me from my "To Read" stack. So this morning I've made the final cut.

The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus
I love his stuff - his podcast is outstanding. I've had the book since January so will be glad to get into it.

Emotional Branding by Marc Gobe
This is a book on marketing that was recommended to me by a friend as a must for all pastors.

The Multi-Site Church Revolution by Geoff Surratt and others
Is this the next step for Grace? One church, multiple congregations, different locations? Who knows? The book should be interesting.

Leading Beyond The Walls by Adam Hamilton
This has been called "The best book on how to be an effective pastor". I can glean from it I'm sure - wonder if that quote is from the writer's brother???

Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi
I saw this book recommended in an in-flight magazine on one of those journeys I made earlier this year. It's about building networks and relationships. I meet a lot of people over meals already, but I'm up for any new excuse I can find for good (healthy!) food.

We're taking a vacation in August, so I'm calling this week a Study Break. Tough life, I know, but pastoring demands sacrifices!