My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, June 16, 2006

FRIDAY THOUGHTS


Getting back from India on Tuesday has sure made this a short week. Wednesday I was still like an alien trying to find his way around a crowded supermarket, but yesterday and today my head actually feels connected to my body.

So the #1 task of the day is to finish my message for Sunday morning. We're starting a new series (we seem to say that very frequently nowadays) called If I Die Before I Wake, during which we're going to take a look at death, after death, heaven and hell.

The series grew out of a snowday we had back in February when I was unable to complete the last part of our Win 4 Life series which was to have been a talk on heaven.

So I've expanded it into a three part series which will give me some time to look at the fact that Christians do die and that the Bible says God thinks it's a good thing when a Christian leaves this earth. I want to lay to rest the nonsense that suggests someone should have prayed more, fasted a load or must have just generally failed somehow because someone who loved Jesus went home. There are a bunch of other myths I'll be happy to explode too.

We need to learn to celebrate death because Jesus came to deliver us from the grip of the fear of dying.

Sorry, you got me started - maybe I'd just better get off here and finish the content for Five Seconds After Your Last Breath and you can hear it in full on Sunday or listen to it on our website or our podcast.