My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

SUNDAY'S COMING

I'm pretty pumped about Sunday. I like the format we adopted in the Spring of bringing together baptisms and communion every three months on one special Sunday. Of course we celebrate communion at other times too, but pairing it up with baptism is pretty cool.

It takes quite a bit of effort to baptize by immersion in a movie theater. The esential props are a horse trough (!) and countless gallons of water which have to be carried around 500 feet. But I'd far rather have baptisms in front of the whole church than off in some other place with just a fraction of our folks there.

Back in Scotland we generally baptized in the North Sea, which got a little chilly during the winter - that was when I learned that the pastor does not have to do the baptizing!