My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

CHURCH STATS

How about these facts and figures from Planting Missional Churches by Ed Stetzer?

+ Churches under three years of age win an average of ten people to Christ per year for every hundred church members.
+ Churches three to fifteen years of age win an average of five people per year for every hundred church members.
+ Churches over fifteen years of age win an average of three people per year for every hundred church members.


Another statistic from Stetzer:

In 1900, there were 28 churches for every 10,000 Americans.
In 1950, there were 17 churches for every 10,000 Americans.
In 2000, there were 12 churches for every 10,000 Americans.
In 2004, the latest year available, there are 11 churches for every 10,000 Americans.


Which all goes to show ...

1. The younger the church, the more likely it is to be getting the job done.

2. Although the landscape seems to be dotted with churches, there are less around per capita than in way over a century.

3. There's plenty of scope for church planting!