My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID


I am reading this incredible book right now - Go Big by Bill Easum and Bil Cornelius (that's not a typo, the second Bil can't spell his own name even though he has co-authored a whole book!).

Here are a few quotes, that made me stop and think ...

We ask God to grow us into great leaders, but then ask for God to remove the very struggles that will grow us into great leaders.

Let God pull you out of your comfort zone and say, "Let's grow, let's do some things we never dreamed we would do".

When you follow Christ, he will lead you to a life that challenges the status quo.

What's keeping you from asking God to multiply your ministry?

When God wants to change the world he raises up leaders. God does not change the world by committee.

Every church eventually is a shadow of its leader.

Are you willing to spend more money than you think the church can bring in? Or are you going to let the checkbook be the God in your life?

Is the very thing you're attempting so crazy that God has to bail you out?

Leaders should never ask their church what it wants to do. What matters is not what we want but what does God want for your church? What does God think you can do? It doesn't matter what "they" think is realistic. What does God want to do.


That's probably enough for one day - I'm pretty much on overload already myself. You may well be asking What on earth is he going to do next? This is not the kind of stuff a visionary should be reading - or is it????