My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

OUTSIDERS

Here's a great quote from the pastor of a church I visited in South Carolina a couple of months ago. Perry Noble's Newspring Church in Anderson has grown to over 6,000 in attendance since it started six years ago -

I said it Sunday–but I will say it again…one of THE main reasons our church is growing is because the people inside haven’t forgotten what it was like to be outside. The people who have received God’s grace are still aware of those who need God’s grace. The people inside are NOT content with playing Christian games…but rather are bothered by the fact that there are people right here in this community that, if they died today, would spend eternity in hell…and that fact does not allow us to rest at night.

I reckon he's right on. The me-centered individuals tend to be those who have been Christians since before Noah built the ark, have lived in a sanitized pagan-free environment for decades and have no concept whatever of what life or eternity could be like without Jesus.

Thankfully the vast majority of our folks come into the category that Perry describes.