My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Not only is it impossible to fool all the people all of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time either.

I share the disappointment of a guy in our church who had a colleague come worship with us last Sunday for the first time, only to discover in work the next morning that she didn't like the service at all. Bummer!

The only specific that this guest homed in on was that it was a distraction to have people eating and drinking around her during the service. Now I have to admit that we do encourage people to take their Starbucks into the theater with them if they wish - after all, there is a cupholder in every seat. And I guess some take bagels, donuts or whatever too. All of which is part of the relaxed approach we are positively pursuing and is definitely more than okay with me.

So what to do about our visitor?

Well, we had around 30 or 40 new folks around last Sunday and all of the feedback I have got back directly and indirectly has been very positive.

So while I feel for the guy who got the friend to come, I have to pass this through the same sieve as I do 101 other things and come out with this conclusion - Not everyone will love Church At The Movies.

Me? I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. That opinion seems to be shared by the dozens of people who left their beds while it was hardly daylight last Sunday to get to the theater and make sure everything was set-up for the record fall turnout.

But I do have to come to terms with the fact that we will never be everyone's cup of tea. Some won't like our music, others won't like the video work, some will think the decor is over the top, some won't care for my torn jeans and the really unenlightened probably just plain won't like me.

But that's okay, you really can't appeal to everyone. So it is what it is. It suits those it suits. And sadly some of those we bring won't rate it at all!